Monday, February 17, 2020

part 2

Part two of many...

Some of the main characteristics in the drama genre are that drama films tend to exhibit real life situations, featuring realistic characters and realistic problems. They do their best to mimic real life in order to form a connection and relatability factor with the audience. Drama films also have a heavy focus on character development throughout the film and structured climaxes in order to maximize audience engagement. Dramas usually have a happy ending, because those are the endings that generally do the best job at coming full circle and creating that effect of closure that the audience yearns for. The main goal of Drama films is to emotionally tie the audience to the story and characters, to make them feel something or to be moved emotionally. Statistically, dramas have been the most successful in award seasons, with an overall number of 46 drama film winning Best Film at the Oscars, far more than any other genre.

Some film openings that I really enjoy that fall under drama are:

Marriage Story (2019)

Stranger in Fiction (2006)

Eighth Grade (2018)

Room (2015)

I feel that these movies, specifically the openings do a good job at capturing the audience in a way that keeps them engaged throughout the entire duration of the movie. I realize that I like film openings that introduce the characters because it helps me grasp the choices that the characters make when I know information about them.
Special consideration!-- I watched Marriage Story this weekend for the first time and one of my favorite parts of the entire movie was the film opening. The way It was presented engaged me completely and allowed me to understand the characters on a deeper level which ended up helping me understand their choices throughout the movie. I liked the choices made by Noah Baumbach (director) and I might choose to do something similar or along the lines of establishing the character to such detail that the audience feels acquainted to them.


 https://www.slideshare.net/FarjanaTahmin/conventions-of-drama-films
https://www.backstage.com/magazine/article/movie-genres-perform-best-oscars-2179/

No comments:

Post a Comment

part 24

part 24 of... 24! So here it is... my CCR! I hope you enjoy! well, thats it for me. see ya! :)